Friday, July 04, 2008

America's Days Aren't Numbered

America is the next empire to fall. All the new books claim it, so it must be true, right?

From WSJ:

The last time I strolled through the local Barnes & Noble, there were so many books announcing the end of American power, wealth, influence, or just America itself, that I began to wonder whether my dollars would be worth anything by the time I hit the checkout counter.

First there was Patrick Buchanan ("Day of Reckoning: How Hubris, Ideology, and Greed Are Tearing America Apart"), who told me "we are on a path to national suicide." Then Chalmers Johnson ("Nemesis: The Last Days of the American Republic") stopped me near the coffee shop to say that the "extinction that befell our former fellow 'superpower,' the Soviet Union . . . is probably by now unavoidable." And don't even get me started on Naomi Wolf ("The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot").

We're still the most blessed nation ever and will continue to be for some time to come. So say Thank You today this July 4th, 2008.

No comments: